Brown Bag is a program that provide seniors with food items. Senior citizens in San Francisco receive groceries from Brown Bag weekly. One has to get creative in cooking meals that utilize the contents of the brown bag as ingredients. Each week brings some of the following food items:
Below are some recipes:
- Pasta Sauce: Use ground turkey (instead of ground beef), sauté with minced garlic, chopped onions, chopped celery then add tomato sauce from can.
- Oatmeal Breakfast: cook oatmeal the usual way then add Nestle chocolate as flavoring, add milk and sugar or add any fruit from can.
- Sweet Corn Soup: pour Campbell’s Cream of Chicken in a sauce pan to boil then add the sweet corn and stir until ready.
- Mashed Potatoes:season with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper.
- Potato Soup: chop potatoes into small pieces and add to Campbell’s Cream of Chicken.
- Chicken Soup: chop chicken into small pieces and add to Campbell’s Cream of Chicken.
- French toast:beat eggs and add milk and sugar, dip the bread and fry in butter.
- Juice: invest in an electric juicer and make apple juice or pear juice, peel the orange to make orange juice, peel the carrot to make carrot juice.
- Arroz Caldo Soup:boil chicken legs to tenderize then debone; sauté chicken meat with chopped ginger, minced garlic and chopped onion when cooked add the chicken and chicken broth and rice; add salt and pepper.
- Fruit Salad:mix canned fruits with Nestle Cream then add sugar.
- Barbeque Chicken:boil chicken legs to tenderize then debone; fry chicken meat in 1½ table spoon barbeque sauce, 2 table spoon Worcestershire Sauce and oil; cook until the sauce has dried.
- French Fries: peel potatoes and fry then dry with paper towel and ad flavoring.
- Tinola:sauté chicken meat with chopped ginger, minced garlic and chopped onion then add potatoes (instead of green papaya)
- Shanghai egg roll: sauté ground turkey with minced garlic and chopped onion, chopped celery and cook to let dry then roll in wrapper and fry; serve with sweet and sour sauce or ketchup.
- Chicken Afritada: boil chicken legs to tenderize then debone; sauté chicken meat with minced garlic and chopped onion then add tomato sauce, potato, bay leaf and carrots.